Wednesday 24 June 2020

LOST FOREVER? - INDIAN RAILWAYS - HISTORICAL MATERIAL

LOST FOREVER?

INDIAN RAILWAYS - HISTORICAL MATERIAL


I had to pick up a friend arriving by train from Chennai to Bangalore, disembarking at the Cantonment Railway Station. 

I reached the Railway Station an hour early. With time to kill, while I awaited the arrival of the train, I walked up and down the platform and to my surprise; I stumbled upon these amazing “Railway Signaling Instruments/Equipment” lying outside the Station Master’s Office.

Out came the Mobile Phone and I clicked away.


 





I then walked into the Station Master’s office to enquire as to why this amazing stuff was lying outside, I was told that, ‘their signaling system is undergoing upgradation and the “old” equipment-instruments would not be needed anymore as they were redundant”.

I then enquired, “What will happen to this “old equipment?”. Promptly came the answer, “not sure, but this stuff will be sent to the scrap yard of our Railway Zonal Office – Hubballi (Hubli)”.





















Here are the PHOTOGRAPHS OF THOSE “HISTORICAL – OUTDATED, OLD and REDUNDANT EQUIPMENT-INSTRUMENTS”, which in all probability would have been “LOST FOREVER”, I am hoping not.

These photographs were taken on Platform-1, Cantonment Railway Station on August 15, 2019.

Would “Rail Buffs”, like to follow up on this.

I would think in any other country, this “old” and “redundant” material of immense historical and archival value would have found its way into the country’s rail museum and preserved for posterity.

********************************************************

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment