Saturday 20 June 2020

The Flying Elephant And Other Quirky Names of Restaurants in India

The Flying Elephant

And Other

Quirky Names of Restaurants in India


I was early for my dental appointment and as I awaited my turn for a consultation, I casually flipped through the special issue on ‘Food and Drink” published by a leading Indian fashion and lifestyle magazine, featuring some of the best restaurants in India. These restaurants had strange names ranging from, “The Flying Elephant” to “Masala Library”. Thus began my journey into the world of exotic and quirky restaurant names.


                                                                   THE FLYING ELEPHANT

First up was a restaurant named “The Flying Elephant”. I wondered how the restaurant derived its name, until I discovered that it is an architectural masterpiece spanning over seven levels, which has a vertical restaurant and a culinary theatre. A resident DJ ensures that the Elephant keeps flying on most nights, making the name apt for this multi-cuisine restaurant at the Park Hyatt, Chennai. The only other “Flying Elephant” I have heard of, is the nickname given to the new AIRBUS A-380,  a double-deck, wide-body , four-engine jet airliner.


                                                                           THE TABLE

Then there was this restaurant named “The Table” and I thought to myself, shouldn’t it have been named “The Table and Chair” instead, because you would need a chair to sit and eat.

Moving on, I came across one called “The Bricklane Grill” and the other named “Brick House”, I instantly knew that it referred to Punjabi Dhabas that we find on our highways where they prepared Rumali roti and butter naan on a tava, balanced on two bricks.


                                                            SUNSET ASHRAM

Turning pages, I came across this place called “Sunset Ashram”, where you would be having your dinner at the “Ashram” after “Sunset”. I discovered that “Sunset Ashram”, is a restaurant and bar located in a quiet and secluded stretch in the proximity of the Ashwem Beach in Goa, offering its guests a spectacular view of the setting sun in the Arabian Sea while relaxing themselves to soothing music and experiencing a sense of peace and tranquility, hence the name.


                                                                 THE GLASS HOUSE

“The Glass House” was next on the list, which I guess, must have been named after the famous “Glass House” in the Lalbagh Botanical Gardens in Bengaluru.

Continuing to flip through the special issue, I came across a restaurant named, “The Town Hall”. I knew the location of this one, the iconic Puttanachetty “Town Hall” located on J.C Road, Bengaluru. Built in 1935, this place is perpetually under renovation, ever since I can remember.

The other names mentioned in the magazine were “Benihana” (Japanese), “Zanotta Cucina” (Italian), “Yuuka” (Japanese), Mekong (Vietnamese), “Yauatcha” (Cantonese), “Peshawari” (Indo-Pak), “Amour” (French), and “Arola” (Spanish), which reminds of a veritable mini United Nations, right here in India.

Next featured was the restaurant “Ohm”. This one stumped me for I thought they had misspelt the name. I recollect that in school we were taught that, ohm is a unit of resistance and we had to mug up Ohm’s law named after German physicist and mathematician Georg Simon Ohm. Gosh, the names of restaurants people come up with!


                                                              MASALA LIBRARY

There was also a restaurant named “Masala Library” which I thought served “Sizzlers” on the Kindle Fire Tablet. I would not be surprised if the waiter walked up to you and asked, “So, how would you like your book served Sir? Sautéed, deep fried or poached?” In reality, the restaurant gets its name from the four decades of research and exploration carried out by the legendary chef Jiggs Kalra on the centuries old customs and culinary traditions practiced in Indian Kitchens.

As a flipped through the magazine, I came across these two Japanese restaurants named “EDO” and “EN”, which served authentic sushi, sashimi, succulent robatayaki, crisp tempura and artful bento meals. Let alone, Japanese, these items on the menu seemed all Greek and Latin to me.

                                                                  THE PLAYBOY

The magazine’s last page featured a restaurant named the “Playboy Club”; I am going in to this one, not for the food or the wine but you know why!  Just as I was about to enter the “Playboy Club”, I was interrupted from my reverie, it was my turn to have the painful “wisdom tooth” extracted. Oh no, I said to myself, there goes my peek into the forbidden world.


By the way, I have forgotten to tell you there many more restaurants with unique names like “Bhel Puri”, “Vada Pav”. “Thair Sadam”, “Bisebele Bath”, “Idly-Vada Sambar”, and not to forget the “Dosa Camp”. Someday I hope to visit all of them.

 (This article was originally published in Caledioscope, here is the revised and updated version).

Author’s Note: This is a humorous article with malice towards none.

*********************************


No comments:

Post a Comment